Friday, November 18, 2011

"Surrendering" a Lab


Last night, I received an application from a man who wished to "surrender" his 8-year-old Lab to our rescue. The dog has no behavior issues, according to the application. Reason for surrender: The man and his wife have two toddlers and lack "enough time to give (him) the attention or love that he deserves."

I have dealt with about eight owner surrenders so far in Florida. I would say six were from people just like this guy. He got the dog as a puppy, probably when his wife and him first got together, and for a while things were great. Then kids came along, and suddenly no one cares about the dog anymore.

I wrote back to this man and told me to send me pictures (I always need pictures to make sure the dog is as represented) and that I would see if anyone in rescue would be willing to take in his dog. But, I said, I had to be honest. Dogs his age were difficult to find fosters and homes for, because most people want young dogs. This dog would likely be in a foster home for months.

I said to him, I'm surprised that you'd want to give up what sounds like an amazing dog. Is there something you're not telling me? I told him many people feel overwhelmed when they have small children, and wasn't it possible that in a year or two, when the kids are a little older, you won't feel quite so overwhelmed?

If the dog could voice his opinion, I told him, he would say he would rather stay with the family he has been with all his life, even if it means a little less attention than before, even if he gets one walk a day instead of two.

I've decided that whether a person keeps his/her dog its whole life has nothing to do with the quality of the dog and everything to do with the quality of the person. A relationship with a dog, like a relationship with spouses or children or anyone else, is a commitment -- of time, money, effort. As with human relationships, there are times when things aren't going well, and times when more time, money and effort are needed. Commitment.

I hope this person will reconsider his decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment