Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Buddy

Today I got an email from the adoptive family of my second foster dog, Buddy. I had him for three months before his family adopted him on Nov. 15. He came into foster care as a stray with a terrible skin infection that left him covered with blood-filled blisters. He was skinny and most of his fur was missing.

In all, SCLRR had him for six months. It took about four months for his skin to clear up; then he had to be neutered. After that it took him awhile to get adopted because of his medical history.

He had been up for adoption for about a month when I decided to take him to a pet expo where our rescue had a booth. A couple came upon him, fell in love with him, and filled out an application to adopt him. Rather than shy away from him because of his medical history, they embraced the chance to give a great dog a second chance at a good life.

Buddy was with another foster during the time he was really sick. She nursed him back to health and then gave him to me in August. When I got him, he was still skinny and frustrated at what his life had become; he had spent most of the past few months sick and crated. He growled at my husband at first and was pretty aloof with us and our dogs. But as the weeks went by and his fur continued to grow in and he continued to gain weight, he began coming out of his shell. I think all the hugs and pets helped too.

By the time he got adopted, he was the sweetest dog in the world -- easygoing, friendly and mellow. My adoptive family was perfect -- an older couple with grown children who loved dogs. I knew right away that they were right for Buddy.

Saying goodbye to Buddy was hard. I imagine saying goodbye will always be hard. I think about him every day. In fact, I had been thinking about writing his family a note when the pictures arrived this morning. To go from where he was to where he is now...that's why we do this! Here is is with his "sister," Maggie, in his new home, still adorable.

1 comment:

  1. I love that Maggie is his sister...and a doxie! SOOOOO CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete