Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Kobe

I've been a volunteer for Southern California Labrador Retriever Rescue for about six months now. I got the idea shortly after my husband, Chris, and I had to put to sleep our beloved 11-year-old yellow Lab, Kobe, the day before Father's Day.

We got Kobe when he was eight weeks old, from a breeder in Perris, California. I actually put a reservation on him before he was born. The breeder, Marshland Labrador Retrievers, was well-known for its healthy and beautiful English-style Labs. Labs can have many health problems, like hip dysplasia and epilepsy, and I was so concerned about making sure we got a healthy dog that it didn't occur to me to worry about the dog's disposition.

Kobe's father was named Ote, which turned out to be an acronym for "Over The Edge." Had I been paying attention, this fact would have served as my first clue about what sort of puppy we were getting. Kobe was a hyper, incorrigible Tasmanian devil of a dog. It's normal for puppies to play-bite when they play with other dogs, but Kobe bit so hard that his dog pals would yelp in pain. He had boundless energy and was impossible to wear out. To punish us for not providing him with six hours of exercise per day, Kobe tore up carpet, stole food, chewed drywall and cabinetry, and pulled up rosebushes. He was so out of control that when he was six months old, we boarded him with a trainer for six weeks. He behaved for the trainer and then reverted right back to his old self after being home less than an hour.

Fortunately, Kobe, not unlike the basketball player we named him after, became better with age. I think all dogs do. Unfortunately, too many people give up on them during that obnoxious puppy stage. If we had given up on Kobe, we would have missed out on many years of wonderfulness, because Kobe ended up being the friendliest, funniest, quirkiest, kindest, most endearing Lab you could ask for.

So a week or two after we lost Kobe, we started thinking about how we could honor him by helping other Labs in need, particularly older ones, who are hard to adopt. That's when we got the idea to volunteer for Southern California Labrador Retriever Rescue.

I'm on my third foster dog now, which means I've already said goodbye to two dogs. There is a lot of loss associated with being a foster, and it hurts. But I try to stay focused on what's best for the dog, and that makes it easier. Plus, you know there's always another dog out there to save.

And it all started with Kobe.

1 comment: